Friday, March 4, 2011

The pH


We needed to raise the pH level of the soil, which the soils test had indicated was moderately acidic at 5.2-6.0. Most vegetables prefer something closer to the neutral range, 6.5-7.2. The solution was to apply lime, so today we sprinkled 50 pounds of lime on the plot. Although you typically see "dolomitic lime" at the nursery, Grover and Cheryl found "plain lime" because dolomite would have added magnesium our soil did not need.

We also added some mulch at the end next to the trellis, where the pea starts will soon be going into the ground.

After some debate, we pulled the black plastic back over the soil when we were finished. It is keeping the soil from becoming too soggy and wet in this rainy weather, and it is warming the soil a bit on those days the sun makes an appearance. It is evidently also making a nice home for some mice or voles, but maybe they're being useful by helping to aerate the soil.

4 comments:

  1. That farm you have looks nothing like Connell

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the blue skies, rolling hills and amber waves of grain in Eastern Washington; they are part of me and I have always appreciated their beauty. I am also envious of vegetable gardens there, brimming with the tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant that are problematic if not impossible here. But I don't think I would want to go back - there is even more to appreciate here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol, What kind of soil do you have (clay, loam, sand)?

    My gardening season officially began yesterday. I planted flats of tomoatoes, peppers, brassica, lettuce, onions and leeks. Its pouring down rain of course. I bet you a box of Girl Scout cookies that I'll have a ripe tomato before you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're not even trying for tomatoes out there. I'll put a few cherry tomato plants on my porch (under cover) much later.

    We're not sure of the percentages, but it seems to be a good mix of loam, sand and clay. We're envisioning incredible bounty, but I'm not making any bets with you.

    ReplyDelete